Heard the one about the funniest Fringe joke of 2013?
Comedy is, of course, subjective, but that doesn’t stop the annual quest to find the funniest joke at the Fringe.
This year the award has gone to Rob Auton for the following effort:
“I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
While you contain yourself, it’s worth saying that this poll carries at least a smidgen of worth: it was one of 20 shortlisted by a group of “comedy experts” before being put to a fans’ poll, where Auton won 24% of the vote.
Of course, it’s always going to favour comics who prefer the punchy one-liner over the lengthy monologue.
The award, officially known as Dave’s Funniest Joke of The Fringe, has been going for six years.
Have you heard a better joke at this year’s Fringe?
The top 10 funniest Fringe jokes
1. Rob Auton – “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
2. Alex Horne – “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
3. Alfie Moore – “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
4. Tim Vine – “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily’.”
5. Gary Delaney – “I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell.”
6. Phil Wang – “The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men.”
7. Marcus Brigstocke – “You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.”
8. Liam Williams – “The universe implodes. No matter.”
9. Bobby Mair – “I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance.”
10. Chris Coltrane – “The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.”